Event Date: March 30, 2015
Event Time: 2:15pm - 3:45pm
-Breakout: Data and Information: Fueling Your Economy
Data provide the foundation for myriad decisions made by economic developers and elected officials. Available resources for data have increased over the past few years, from Census, Bureau of Economic Analysis, Bureau of Labor Statistics, and many private sources. This workshop will focus on a combination of hard skills associated with data research and utilization, discussion on effective uses of data, and what are that ‘data holes' that need to be filled.
What you will learn:
- How can you leverage all of the options out there into useful information to better inform your next big decision?
- What information proves the most influential when communicating your needs to your local-elected officials?
- What data do you need that you're NOT getting and how can economic developers communicate that to data collectors?
- George Harben, CEcD, CCR, Director, Existing Business, Prince William County Department of Economic Development, Manassas, VA
- Chris Chmura, PhD, President & Chief Economist, Chmura Economics & Analytics, Richmond, VA
- The Honorable Dr. Erica Groshen, Commissioner, Bureau of Labor Statistics, U.S. Department of Labor, Washington, DC
- Lynn Overman, Deputy Chief Data Officer, U.S. Department of Commerce, Washington, DC
Conference Website: International Economic Development Council